Like my last post, I was hoping to write this one much earlier in the summer. There are so many great new books out there as well as some soon-to-be-released books that I’m eager to read, so I want to share my list of top new books to get. If your kids still have a few days left before they go back to school, perhaps getting your hands on a few of these great titles will provide some end of summer reading momentum to carry them through until school begins. Also, whether or not your kids are back at school — rewarding summer reading by letting kids pick out a few great new books is a terrific way to wrap up summer and celebrate the reading that was done.
Here’s a list of 26 of favorite new books — most of which were released Spring or Summer 2014. It also includes books that are due to be released end of August through Septmber; I haven’t read these yet but am very much looking forwrad to their release (based on editorial reviews and knowledge of the authors). Remember, as you build your home library collection, aim to bring diverse text types into your home for kids of all ages and reading levels, including picture books, chapter books, graphic novels, poetry anthologies, informational/nonfiction, etc.
Favorite New Books:
- Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas. (By Lynne Cox). Picture book. Based on a true story, this is a great read-aloud about an unusual elephant seal.
- Eye to Eye: How Animals See The World. (By Steve Jenkins). Informational nonfiction picture book. Another captivating work by author Steve Jenkins.
- Help! We Need a Title! (By Herve Tulle). Picture book. From the creator of Press Here, another interactive and clever picture book!
- Little Melba and Her Big Trombone. (By Katheryn Russell-Brown). Picture book biography about a great but little-known African American female hero of Jazz.
- Mr. Wayne’s Masterpiece. (By Patricia Polacco). Picture book. Polacco is a favorite in our family — we love to read her personal stories from her past and talk about the lessons that they convey. In this one, Polacco credits a teacher with helping her to conquer a fear of public speaking. Another heartfelt and inspiring tale!
- My New Friend Is So Fun! (by Mo Willems). Picture book. Another super fun Elephant & Piggie book!
- The Meaning of Maggie. (By Megan Sovern). Middle grade chapter book. An 11-year-old girl’s funny and sensitive “memoir” recounting the “year that changed EVERYTHING!”
- The Most Magnificent Thing. (By Ashley Spires). Picture book. A magnificent story about not giving up!
- The Pilot and the Little Prince: The Life of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. (By Peter Sis). Picture book biography.
- The Scarecrows’ Wedding. (By Julia Donaldson). Picture book. Another rhyming, rollicking read-aloud from this fabulous author.
- The Soda Bottle School. (By Laura Kutner). Nonfiction picture book. An inspirational true story about an impoverished community that comes together to solve a problem.
- Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond between a Soldier and His Service Dog. (By Luis Montalvan). Nonfiction picture book. A touching story about companionship and loyalty.
- Two Parrots. (By Rumi). Picture book. A lively, well-told tale with a valuable lesson.
To Be Released:
- As An Oak Tree Grows. (By G. Brian Karas). Nonfiction picture book. This looks like it will be a fascinating historical recount of transformation and the impact of modernization on the environment. To be released Sept. 2014.
- Ben Franklin’s Big Splash: The Mostly True Story of His First Invention. (By Barb Rosenstock). Nonfiction picture book biography. To be released Sept. 2014.
- Brown Girl Dreaming. (By Jackueline Woodson). Middle grade nonfiction chapter book. A memoir of a young girl’s life, written in verse. To be released Aug. 28, 2014.
- Circle, Square, Moose. (By Kelly Bingham). Picture book. This companion to Z is for Moose looks like it will be an equally hilarious read-aloud, this time about the concept of shapes. To be released Sept. 2014.
- Draw! (by Raul Colon). Wordless picture book. To be released Sept. 2014.
- Joltin’ Joe DiMaggio. (By Jonah Winter). Nonfiction picture book biography. To be released early Sept. 2014.
- Leroy Ninker Saddles Up: Tales from Deckawoo Drive. (by Kate DiCamillo). Transitional chapter book. I can’t wait for this spin-off book from the Mercy Watson series. To be released Aug. 26, 2014.
- Mix It Up! (by Herve Tullet). I’m so looking forward to this companion to Press Here. I’m expecting another wonderful interactive journey, this time about color mixing. To be released Sept. 2014.
- Quest. (By Aaron Becker). Wordless picture book. I literally can’t wait for the release of this sequel to the stunning wordless fantasy Journey. To be released Aug. 26, 2014.
- Remy and Lulu. (By Kevin Hawkes). Picture book. To be released Sept. 2014.
- Sisters. (By Raina Telgemeier). Graphic novel. A companion to the fantastic Smile. To be released Aug. 26, 2014.
- Tiny Creatures: The World of Microbes. (By Nicola Davies). Informational nonfiction picture book. To be released Aug. 26, 2014.
- Two (by Kathryn Otoshi). Picture book. A companion to the fabulous books One and Zero. To be released Sept. 2014.